Schoolboy commended for helping to save nan

Thursday, 28 January, 2010

Charlie Tsangarides with his nan Gail Turner and Paramedic Ian McIntyre

Charlie Tsangarides was hailed a hero after helping to save the life of his nan.

The 11-year-old from Hammersmith rushed to her aid when she collapsed while looking after him in November last year.

The London Ambulance Service crew who treated his nan, Gail Turner, were so impressed with what Charlie did that they met with him again at Fulham station to present him with a certificate for his actions.

Gail was looking after Charlie and three of his young cousins when she went into anaphylactic shock.
Charlie put her in the recovery position, called 999, went to ask his neighbour to look after the other children and helped the crew find her medication.

Fulham Paramedic Ian McIntyre and Student Paramedic Kate Clarke met with Charlie, Gail and Charlie's mum at the station. Emergency Medical Technician Keith Lister was also part of the crew.

Gail recalled: "I started itching like crazy - it felt like someone had thrown itching powder all over me. I went into Charlie's bedroom and sat on his bed and the next thing I knew I passed out.

"I could hear everything but couldn't move or speak. Charlie was a hero in all of our estimations that day. When I was in the hospital he wouldn't leave my side. I dread to think what might have happened if he hadn't been there."

Gail was taken to Charing Cross Hospital and discharged the next day with an EpiPen (a device to inject adrenaline, used by people who suffer from severe allergies and risk anaphylactic shock). It is thought she may have had a reaction to anti-inflammatory tablets.

Ian added: "It was quite a scary situation to be faced with but Charlie kept very calm and helped us a great deal. He did a fantastic job in helping to save the life of his nan."

Return to news menu